Medtronic Begins Initial European Market Launch of World’s First Combined Glucose Sensor and Insulin Infusion Set for People with Diabetes.
Medtronic is launching in Europe the world’s first combined continuous glucose sensor and insulin infusion pump, the MiniMed Duo. This device will allow diabetics who have to be vigilant in controlling their glucose levels to use only one access point on their body for both monitoring and delivery of insulin.
The sensor has to be changed every three days and is inserted using a button that pops out the needle discreetly so that it’s never seen by the user. The MiniMed Duo notably also features automatic insulin shut off if the glucose levels drop low enough to leave a patient in hypoglycemia.
- Both the glucose sensor and cannula (the tiny tube that goes into the body to deliver the insulin) are inserted with one easy-to-use insertion device.
- People with diabetes only have to remember to change one device every 3-days.
- There’s no need to manage two different sites on the body while bathing, exercising or being active.
- A smaller footprint on the body (compared to a separate CGM sensor and infusion set) means less skin covered by adhesive tape.
- A single-button insertion and automatic needle retraction (so patients don’t have to see the needle) were specifically designed for greater comfort.
- In a study, 95.8% of people using MiniMed Duo rated pain at the time of insertion at 0 or 1 out of 10.
- An improved adhesive pad accommodates movement without compromising adhesion.